Sciatica is when the sciatic nerve, running from the lower back through your hips and buttocks down to your feet is irritated or compressed.
The differentiating mark of Sciatica is that the pain radiates from the lower back to the buttocks and down the back of your leg. It follows a typical path and pain can be mild to sharp excruciating pain.
Some people have described their pain as electric shock and can be worsened when you cough, sneeze or after prolonged sitting. Some people have numbness and weakness in the affected leg.
CAUSES OF SCIATICA
1. Herniated disk in the spine
2. Nerve damage
1. Physical activity such as exercise to keep your back strong. Start with gentle exercise and better to ask your doctor for specific physical activity for you. Exercises such as the knee to chest stretch, back extensions, standing hamstring stretch among others have been recommended.
2. Maintaining a proper posture with good lower back support, and armrests or using a pillow to help with your back.
3. Heat packs on the painful areas can help.
4. Painkillers such as ibuprofen from your local pharmacies can help relieve pain. However, speak to the pharmacist about your other health conditions and always take ibuprofen with food. It is contraindicated in asthma and ulcers.
5. Do not sit or lie down for too long
6. Avoid using hot water bottles to avoid scalding.
7. See your doctor if the pain gets worse and there is numbness on both legs that is severe and getting worse.
8. See a doctor immediately if sciatica is on both sides.
9. Sit correctly when using a computer
11.Use safe techniques when lifting heavy objects.
Pharmahealthtalk health and wellness is only to raise awareness and our health talk is not a replacement for any arrangement out in place by your healthcare practitioner. Always consult with your doctor on any ailment and treatment.